Fingbox Release Notes
This page shows the continuous updates we make to Fingbox. Current and future updates will be listed here.
Fingbox Version 1.16.0 - 20 Feb , 2024
Fing now supports a faster and more reliable speed test protocol based on NDT7, replacing the former NDT5 which was causing issues on some locations and measurements.
Fingbox Version 1.14.18 – 20 Jul, 2020
Bug fixes on network discovery engine caused noise in some corner cases. This was because the Bonjour ‘goodbye’ packet not handled properly.
Fingbox 1.14.17 – 20 Apr, 2020
Minor periodic security and bug-fixing update. This was part of the maintenance of Fingbox firmware.
Fingbox 1.14.16 – 19 Mar, 2020
Minor periodic security and bug-fixing update. This was part of the maintenance of Fingbox firmware.
Fingbox 1.14.15 – 18 Dec, 2019
Fingbox 1.14.14 – 18 Nov, 2019
Bug fix of speed test issue was reported.
Fingbox 1.14.13 – 7 Nov, 2019
Fixed and restored M-Lab speed test download. Currently, the download speed test will only be single stream.
Fingbox 1.14.12 – 29 Oct, 2019
Fingbox and Ubuntu Core operating system was updated to the latest version.
Fingbox 1.14.10 – 14 Oct, 2019
Bug fix: An auto-fix device clock when the ntp time server is unavailable, which caused an inability to activate or disconnect.
New beta feature: Improved recognition of devices by reaching Fingbox IP in http (port 80) from browsers of smartphones, computers, smart TVs and media players.
Fingbox 1.14.4 – 11 Jul, 2019
Bug fixes: Refreshed updated device list. Notifications, IFTTT and automations were not working.
Fingbox 1.14.3 – 9 Jul, 2019
Bug fixes in automatic speed tests.
Fingbox 1.14.2 – 13 Jun, 2019
Bug fixes on speed tests: On occasion, automatic speed tests did not work. The Fingbox also disconnected and did not reconnect, with the circular light turning red.
Fingbox agent 1.14.0 – 26 Mar, 2019
The new M-Lab speed test endpoints were used worldwide.
Fingbox 1.13.0 – 15 Jan, 2019
We improved and tuned Internet Speed Test for 1Gbit connections and the Wi-Fi sweet spot for high speed networks.
Fingbox 1.12.2 – 19 Dec, 2018
Bug fixes and improvements
Fingbox 1.12.0 – 14 Nov, 2018
We fixed the LG TV pairing screen issue.
Fingbox 1.11.9 – 1 Oct, 2018
- Minor bug fixes on the Fingbox agent engines
- Bug fixes on engines, including UPnP and bonjour
- Fixed speed tests
Fing App 7.2.0 released on Android and iOS – 14th Sept, 2018
- New feature: Block devices by default. This feature is initially disabled by default and can be enabled in Fingbox settings.
- New feature: Monthly Internet speed report. This feature is enabled by default and can be disabled in Fingbox settings.
- Internet speed: Ranking now includes ISP reliability
- Mobile tools: New and improved Trace-route and Ping tools
- Android: Workflow now enables location for case
- Improved Android app settings
- Added Notify when enters and leaves the network setting shortcut in user views
Bug fixes for Android
We fixed the following issues:
- The device list flickering during search
- The export of discovery state fails
- The capture of pictures from camera fails on certain devices
- The removal of the local network did not update networks list after removal
Fing App 7.0.0 released on Android and iOS – 10 Aug, 2018
Free Fing App
- A new way of entering the target to Ping, Traceroute and Scan service. The improved UX allows users to re-select a recent target host and choose a device from the list of devices, if they are currently connected to that network.
- A new look for the ping page on Android. The ping page now features a chart which gives you further details about your ping test results.
- Users in the USA can buy Fingbox online from BestBuy.com
- New account Sign in workflow and UI, while still using the web-based social logins.
- New account profile page. Use this page to configure the user’s avatar, name, mail notifications and push notifications directly from the Fing Mobile App.
- New dedicated page for Fing account storage.
- The Digital Presence chart has a new layout.
- The nominal speed of the Fingbox connectivity is reported in Fingbox setting, warning the user if it is below 1Gb
Fing App 7.0.3 released on Android and iOS – 15 Jun, 2018
Digital Presence displays day/night time frames, and there were minor fixes since 7.0.2
- Digital Presence displays day/night time frames, and the following issues were fixed:
- Crashes on some devices
- Voice over was missing
- Elapsed time on Fingbox
- Unable to trust access point/gateway
- Jumping keyboard while editing devices
- Promo banner not dismissing on Not now
- The access point marker was not visible in the device list
Fing App 7.0.2 released on Android and iOS – 11 Jun, 2018
Bug fixes and improvements on Android
Fing App 7.0.1 released on Android and iOS – 8 Jun, 2018
The following issues were fixed:
- Crashes on Android 4.4 KitKat
- Landscape rotation issues
- Invalid date display in user panel
Fing App 7.0.0 released on Android and iOS – 7 Jun, 2018
New navigation and layout for all Fing App users
- Change networks from any screen in the app by selecting a network from the toolbar
- See the timeline of changes in the Events tab
- All account and settings are now grouped together
New features for Fingbox users
- There is a chart of the Digital Presence of your household
- The device blocking feature has a new look
- Security and performance events are now in the Network tab
- You can now enable/disable all Wi-Fi checks and events from the UI
Fingbox Firmware 1.10.9 released on Android and iOS – 4 May, 2018
Bug fixes and minor improvements in the network discovery engine
Fing App 6.7.1 released on Android and iOS – 27 Mar, 2018
Bugfixes and UI Improvements
- We added an in-app menu option to display app help from our support page @help.fing.io
- You will now be prompted with a release notes page whenever a new version of the app is installed
- We now provide Traditional Chinese localization (Taiwan and Hong Kong)
- On iOS, the bottom bar is now automatically hidden when you get into nested views, to gain more visual room
- The tabbed interface has been removed from the DigitalFence radio device list and replaced with a more user-friendly filterable view
Fing App 6.7.0 and Firmware 1.9.38 released on Android and iOS – 13 Mar, 2018
The DigitalFence™ 2.0 has been released
This release includes the following improvements to the Fingbox DigitalFence™.
- The longer the DigitalFence™ is running, the more data about devices is collected for you. Data will currently show from the previous month.
- It is easier to find devices, as well as find devices that are in your home but not connected to your Wi-Fi
- Watch/exclude devices to monitor and get alerts about them
- View new devices, known devices, and anonymized devices
- Use the comprehensive DigitalFence™ settings to reduce noise from devices you are not interested in
- Filter the dashboard by time/date, device type and range (range meaning how far or near the device is from Fingbox)
- A new tagging systems informs you which devices appear everyday, on weekdays only, or on certain days
- By default, anonymized devices, access points, and devices in your network are filtered out of the DigitalFence™. You can adjust these settings and view the devices you wish.
Click here for further information on DigitalFence™.
Fing App 6.6.0 and Firmware 1.9.33 released on Android and iOS – 22 Feb, 2018
- Internet Performance Chart now available in the App
- You will now receive a detailed email report which visualizes both summary statistics and a detailed Internet performance history of your network for each day of the month
Fing App 6.5.1 released on Android and iOS – 26 Jan, 2018
- General fixes
- The dark theme has been fixed
- Fixes on new features
Fing App 6.5.0 and Firmware 1.9.16 released on Android and iOS – 24 Jan, 2018
Automated Speed Tests
- Automated speed tests have been released and automatically activated on all Fingboxes
- Run up to six automated speed tests per day at any times you want
- Get network performance data over longer periods of time and reports on the trends and anomalies of your ISPs performance. This feature is helpful when checking your ISP's promised speed and level of service.
- This feature is enabled by default. To turn off automated speed tests, go to Internet Speed, click the clock icon and deselect all the hours
- Click the book icon to see a history of all the speed tests
- This release includes a new ISP ranking feature based on speed test results from Fingbox users in your city and country
- To access ISP ranking by city and country, click the Scoreboard button
- See how your ISP ranks compared to other Fingbox users
- Compare your Internet experience with that of other ISPs
Fing Mobile App 6.4.2 released on Android only – 9 Jan, 2018
- Fixed notifications bug on Android 8.x.
- All voluntary feedback is now send to email@example.com
Fing Mobile App 6.4.1 released on Android only – 14 Dec, 2017
Fixed the following issues:
- Log out on iOS
- Android notifications
In addition, we have support for holiday events. We will generate a number of events that you can only see using Fing 6.4.1
Fing Mobile App 6.4.0 and Fingbox Agent Firmware 1.9.3 – 21 Nov, 2017
- Dedicated view to manage alert settings from the Search & Filter popup
- Schedule of Internet Pause for Fingbox
- Bug fixes
7 Nov, 2017
Fing App and Fingbox updates rolled out the week of 6 November 2017
Internet Security 2.0
- Improved graphics and user experience
- On-demand Internet security scanning
- Reports of new ports discovered since previous scans
- Ability to close ports via UPnP
- Evil Twin Access Point Detection, such as KRACK Attack Detection. Fingbox will detect these and send alerts about them.
- Add Trusted Gateways to prevent alerts on routers that change network gateway frequently
Device search, sort and filter for both Fing App and Fingbox users
- Change the sort order of devices by criteria including status, priority, favorite and important.
- Filter out devices by matching criteria
- Search for matching text on devices. Search by criteria including name, brand and IP address etc. This feature is only available on Android.
These features are accessible from the main device list on the Fing Mobile App
- Internet outage recording: Fingbox now records Internet outages on a Network
- LED quiet mode: Fingbox only uses full LED brightness when attention is required
- Slower network discovery mode: This option can be enabled if you experience issues with network speed or specific devices
Fing 1.8.12 released – 19 Oct, 2017
KRACK Attack Detection: Fingbox can detect and report KRACK attacks. KRACK attacks are a new type of attack on Wi-Fi devices. We enhanced the Wireless Intrusion Detection System (WIDS) so Fingbox can detect any Evil Twin Access Point attack. Evil Twin Access Point attacks are the basis of KRACK and other Wi-Fi attacks which hackers use to steal your personal information and data.
9 Oct, 2017
Fing 6.2.1 released – 10 Oct, 2017
- A new settings page has been added called “Fingbox”. This page provides access to the “LED Dimmer” settings, to the version number of Fingbox software and to a link to the online support pages.
- All entries in the log pages are now grouped by weeks and report the exact time of the event
- Internet Speed highlights outliers with respect to usual values of speed tests. The bigger the difference, the bigger the arrow
- Notification sounds have been enabled
2 Oct, 2017
Fing 1.8.0 released – 2 Oct, 2017
- Fixed: Device discovery more lightweight to cope better with all networks/devices
- Improvement: Improved Internet Security Check remote scan: ports are not scanned in order, to cope better with firewall temporary anti-burst ban that can produce an almost empty set of found ports
25 Sept, 2017
Fing 1.7.4 released – 25 Sep, 2017
Fixed: Device discovery interferes with some WiFi networks causing a slowdown or WiFi drop
Fixed: Device discovery causing some devices to disconnect from the network
21 Sept, 2017
Fing 1.6.5 released – 21 Sep, 2017
Fixed: We fixed the issues of the Internet Security Check on routers with older UPnP implementations
- Fingbox engine configuration can now be updated without upgrading the firmware (quicker response to performance and security issues)
- We added a watchdog that restarts Fingbox when issues are detected with the operating system
- We added a more detailed diagnostics for failures of Internet Speed Test (we’re working with our partner M-Lab to extend test coverage and reliability)
12-13 Sept, 2017
Fingbox agent 1.6.X released – 12 Sep, 2017
The below features are currently live on Android and will be released on iOS by the end of the week.
Internet Security Check
This feature was formerly known as the Hacker Threat Check. Fingbox now shows you open ports and vulnerabilities of your network that your router exposes to the public Internet. Click on Internet Security from the Fingbox Dashboard to get your report. The security checks are repeated periodically – on a weekly basis – and you get alerts when new ports or vulnerabilities are found. Learn more
Parental Control: One Tap Pause User
Easily pause all the devices belonging to a user with a single tap. You can also resume the internet for paused devices in a single tap. Click on a user from the dashboard to see the list of owned devices and pause their access to the Internet.
- Tap on a user to quickly see assigned devices and actions
- Important notifications have been moved to the top for better visibility
- The list of “paused” users and devices have been moved to the bottom
- The Recent events button has been moved up on the main status header
- Tiles have been reorganized to show the latest measured values
Recent Events List
When a device marked “personal” changes state, the related event shows the device owner.
- Search bar added to the Contact List
- Colorful initials for newly created users
- Assign device to a user directly from Device Details
- Assign device to a user directly from the “New Device Found” Security Notification
- Show and Edit the device owner in Device Details
New message when the Fing app finds a Fingbox that’s already been activated on the network
Fixes and improvements
- Agent firmware running version 1.6.x
- Fixes and improvements to network discovery: more lightweight discovery of multicast protocols like UPnP and Bonjour
- Fix to UPnP protocol that could cause slowdown of streaming devices
- Better detection and reporting of M-Lab server issues while performing Internet Speed Test
5 Sept, 2017
Fingbox agent 1.5.0 released – 5 Sep, 2017
- Network discovery improvements with a lightweight network scan (95% lighter)
- Internet Speed Test bug fixes and improvements (detect and report M-Lab server issues)
- Ready to run Internet Security checks when released officially in the mobile apps
14 – 17 Aug, 2017
Fingbox improvements made during the week of 14 -17 Aug, 2017
Fingbox Web App
- The Fing Web App now supports Fingboxes as well. Now you can Login to the Web App and manage aspects of your Fingbox.
- This integration with the Web App covers the basics of Fingbox “storage”: You can now see all your Fingboxes, view network details, access device details, edit device names, alerts, settings, and logs, and even block and pause devices from the web!
7 – 11 Aug, 2017
Fingbox Improvements made during the week of 7 -11 Aug, 2017
- These steps weren’t needed as they are already in the manual
- It’s more clear that during the on boarding, the App is actively looking for Fingbox and will activate it
24 – 28 Jul, 2017
Fingbox Improvements made during the week of 24-28 Jul, 2017
- New device alerts LEDs are now more refined. Now the blue LEDs will flash when a new device is discovered until you click “Got It” or “Block” on the device from the Fingbox Dashboard. The flashing will continue for 24 hours to remind you to take action from your Fingbox Dashboard.
17 – 21 Jul, 2017
Fingbox improvements made during the week of 17-21 Jul, 2017
- It’s now possible to choose a specific personal device (long press)
- New layout for Bandwidth Analysis data and chart
- More network details in W-iFi Sweet Spot
- Device timeout is now customizable
- Several fixes on Fingbox screen
- Improved security alerts with user-friendly description.
- Auto-discovery of multiple access points during onboarding.
Tuned the auto time out for Apple devices