Manage your Fing Desktop Network via Fing Mobile App
In March 2021 we released Fing App version 11.0 for Android. With this release, we have included the ability to manage your Fing Desktop network via your Fing Mobile App, creating one platform whereby you can manage all of your available Fing products.
What are the feature/functionality changes?
Please see below the feature/functionality updates relating to this release:
- Access to Fing Desktop via Fing Mobile app: via your Mobile app, you can now access & manage your Fing Desktop Network/Data by going to your ‘Network’ list (via the ‘Home’ tab) & click on your Fing Desktop network from the ‘Monitored Networks’ list.
- Fing Desktop network can be added to ‘Home’ tab: to quickly access the Fing Desktop network, you can add it to the ‘Home’ tab on the Mobile App (like Fingbox network). To note: only 1 monitored network can be added to the ‘Home’ tab at any time, e.g., if you have a Fingbox, you can add either a Fingbox or Fing Desktop Network to your ‘Home’ tab. However, regardless of which network is added to the ‘Home’ tab, all networks can be accessed by simply clicking on the network list (‘Hamburger’/3 line icon).
So, how will this look on the Mobile App? Will there be any changes to the UI?
Yes, we have made some changes in order to implement these functionalities and to continue to improve user experience. See below the main changes to the Mobile App UI:
- Network List Layout – when you click on your Network list (‘Hamburger icon) you will see 2 categories: ‘Monitored Networks’ & ‘Scanned Networks’. Monitored Networks refer to Fingbox or Fing Desktop networks. Scanned Networks refer to Mobile App scanned networks.
- Scan Option: if you have a Fing Desktop Network-attached when you click the ‘Scan’ button a manual scan cannot be completed, only a scan via the Fing Desktop Network. Scanning from the Mobile is blocked to preserve the scan with higher quality & avoid conflicts if scans. Detaching the network from Fing Desktop will enable the ability to scan once again from Mobile.
- ‘Notifications’ tab (NEW): ‘on the Fing Desktop dashboard, there is a new ‘Notification’ tab which contains a list of notifications of new device connections.
- Improved UI for router vulnerability report: We unified the screens for Fing Vulnerability Test (Mobile app) and Fingbox Vulnerability Test so the same data are presented and in the same format.
- ‘Port close’ option: Now users do not have to navigate to a separate screen, instead ports can be closed directly from the analysis report page (if the router doesn’t support port closing, i.e. Google WiFi, Eero, the button close ports is not displayed).
- ‘Restore purchase’ button location changed: The restore purchase button helps to recover your purchases and you can find this button under App settings. You can find this by clicking on Avatar icon and then click on “Try for Free” and then if you scroll down you will find the “Restore” button.
How do I access my Fing Desktop Network via my Mobile App?
To access your Fing Desktop Network via your Mobile App:
- Log into your mobile app (using the account details that you use for your Fing Desktop app)
- Go to the Home tab
- Click on the ‘Hamburger’ icon (in the ‘Current Wi-Fi’ section of the display)
- A display will expand showing 2 sections:
- Monitored Networks: Fingbox or Fing Desktop networks
- Scanned Networks: all previously scanned networks
- The Fing Desktop Network will have a MAC address beginning with DW and a ‘desktop’ icon. Click on this network and your Fing Desktop dashboard will then be expanded (with tabs Devices/Network/Internet/Notifications)
You can now access the functionality & monitor the Fing Desktop Network.
Detach/Delete Fing desktop from Fing mobile app
To delete the Fing desktop network from the Fing App so that you can run manual scan from Fing app, please follow these steps:
- Sign in to Fing App and from the Home tab, click on “3 lines icon”
- This will take you through to the Networks screen which contains a list of all your Monitored and Scanned networks.
- Swipe left on the Network or long tap on the Fing desktop network and then it will ask if you want to detach all networks or the current Fing desktop network. Choose your option and then you can hit close.
Detaching a network will remove it from the Home dashboard. Detaching all networks will move all the networks scanned by Fing desktop to the Scanned networks list. If you chose to detach the current network only then it will move the recent network scanned by the Fing desktop to the Scanned network list.
Still experiencing issues?
Please include all details related to your issue and write to us from your registered email address at email@example.com