Why Can’t Fing See MAC Addresses on iOS 11?
The Fing network scanner sadly cannot show MAC addresses on iOS 11. The reason for this is that Apple has blocked any app from accessing MAC addresses in the ARP table of the iPhone’s Operating System (iOS). Therefore, MAC addresses can no longer be captured during a network scan performed on an iPhone.
Important: Please note the Fing Android App and Fingbox are not affected at all by these changes. As alternative options, we suggest
- Fing App for Android: Downloading the Fing network scanner for Android
- Fingbox: Getting a Fingbox to continue scanning and troubleshooting your networks as usual.
- NEW! Fing Desktop: We have recently launched a brand new offering to our suite of Fing Products; Fing Desktop.Fing Desktop can be considered as a more powered version of the Fing mobile App, with better device recognition capabilities and new functionalities coming. To read more about Fing Desktop, please visit: Fing Desktop
To download Fing Desktop, click on Fing Desktop Download link
iOS impact on scanner
Our inability to access the ARP table on iOS 11, has the following impact on the free Fing network scanning app when running on an iPhone:
- MAC addresses of devices can no longer be discovered through the ARP Table.
- Device manufacturers can no longer be recognized as these come from the MAC addresses, although we will still attempt identification on a best effort basis using other network information that it is still available.
- The identification will be based on IP Addresses. Custom names and icons can still be assigned to devices, but you need to make sure your DHCP assigns the same IP address to the same device.
- The Wake on LAN feature will be disabled
- The quality of the Device Recognition may be decreased, though we can still identify devices from other means, including all available discovery protocols.
We would encourage users to insert as many details that you can about the device.
This will assist with improved device identification in the future.
Still experiencing issues?
Please include all details related to your issue and write to us from your registered email address at firstname.lastname@example.org