Network Scan & Insights
Using the Network Scan & Insights functionality you can:
- Scan your network to see what devices are connected to your network,
- Export an inventory of devices
- Numerous filter options such as state/make/status/technical/simplified etc.,
- Access network information
- Detailed insights with multiple filter options depending on your requirements)
- Timeline information
- Access advanced security functionalities such as Intruder Alerts, New Device breakdown & Vulnerability checks.
To access the Network Scan & Insights functionality:
- Click on the ‘Home’ tab
- You will see the options to ‘See all devices’ & ‘See insights’
See all devices (Scan a network):
- Click on ‘See all devices’
- This will expand the list of connected devices on your network.
- You can make numerous changes to how you would like to view/list the devices, based on your requirements. You can change the list based on:
- Device State: i.e. all devices online, offline or unrecognized for example.
- Device information: list devices based on specific device information, e.g. device names, state, IP addresses etc.
- View (Simplified/Standard/Technical/Summary): these views will offer different levels of device information
- ‘Search’ bar: alternatively, you can use the search bar to look for a specific device.
On the Network tab, you can also view more detailed Network information such as:
- WiFi Access Points
- Network Setup
- Internet Setup
You can also:
- Edit network details
- Look at a timeline of events
From the Security tab, you can access additional Security features:
- New Devices: reports how many devices have been seen for the first time and how many you confirmed as yours. You can confirm that you recognize a device in each device detail page, to make it easier to identify intruders.
- Intruder Alerts: Receive a notification when a new device enters the network. According to Cyber Security studies in 2020, 53% of breaches infiltrate unnoticed and 91% of attacks did not generate an alert. The attack usually takes minutes while abuse can last up to years. This is a Premium feature, to subscribe: Fing Premium | Advanced network security features | Fing
- Vulnerability Check – Improve your Security: Find open ports via UPnP and NAT-PMP that may lead to external access and close them. This is a Premium feature, to subscribe: Fing Premium | Advanced network security features | Fing
The internet Tab includes various Internet assessment features, split across 5 different sections:
- Internet Score – At the top of the tab, you can find Your Internet Score, which displays the average Internet score in your local area. Below the rating, there are buttons called “Test speed” and “Scoreboard”. The “Test speed” button allows you to manually trigger a speed test. The “Scoreboard” button will prompt an overview of ISPs in your city and country, ranked from worst to best.
- Average Performance – it shows you the average download and upload speeds over the last week in a graph. You also have the option to generate the performance over the last 2, 3 or 4 weeks with Fing Premium. In this section, the ‘timeline‘ button opens a new tab that displays all the info regarding your latest speed tests. Moreover, the ‘edit schedule‘ button is for Premium users who want to program their speed tests. And finally, the report button produces summarised monthly Internet reports for free users and complete monthly Internet reports for Premium users.
- About your Internet Provider – Once you scroll down the Internet page, you can see:
Internet Provider section – which lists your ISP trends regarding speed performance, ratings, and Internet outages.Last speed test – with information regarding your most recent internet test
And the Internet Set-up – where you can find information like ISP name, public address, hostname and more.
The Digital Presence feature allows you to monitor the presence of people in your home or office. With this feature, you can set up profiles and assign devices to each user. In this way, you can always see who is currently online from your user’s list and easily access their details by clicking on the user icon.
On Fing desktop, Setting up a new user on the Digital Presence feature is very easy.
- From the Fing Desktop Dashboard, click on the People tab
- Click on Add User
- You can then choose to add a ‘Custom User’ or from your list of contacts on your app
From here you can add:
- A name for the user
- A photo or icon
- A category they fall under
- Select the devices on the network that belong to that user
From People tab you can:
- Click on “Add User”
- Enter User’s details and click Continue
- Select the device that belongs to user and then click “Save”
So, when selecting a Personal Device, the question you need to ask yourself is ‘does this device’s presence on the network mirror it’s owner’s presence in the home/office?’
When you are assigning devices to user’s profile, it will ask you whether it is a “presence device” or “other”.
We recommend using a mobile phone as a Personal Device, but you may find a tablet or smartwatch represents that person better.
- Click on ‘See Insights’
- A detailed report will be automatically generated, which will include statistics about your current network and its devices discovered. You can filter these statistics under the following categories:
- Score: Score network devices by group, compared to others: none, low (below average), medium (in average), high (above average), top.
- Brands: Top brands of devices in current network, showing total number of devices for each brand.
- Products: Top products of devices in current network, showing total number of devices for each product family.
- Operating Systems: Operating systems of devices in current network, showing total number of devices for each OS.
- Smart Home capabilities: Total devices able to work with Smart Home capabilities like voice assistants and smart home automation.
- Recognition of devices: Statistics about recognition of devices with shortcuts to quickly fix and improve them.
- Time Insights: last 24 hours: Heatmap of online devices over time by profile.
- Time Insights: last 7 days: Heatmap of online devices over time by profile. To view, all the events in your network’s history, rather than just the events of today, upgrade to one of our paid plans.
Download Fing Desktop Premium with additional features and enhanced capabilities including Intruder Alerts, Security Checks, Timeline of Events & Unlimited.
Whether you are an IT expert or a technology enthusiast, Fing has the right solution for your needs. To find out more, please visit: Fing Premium Plan
Still experiencing issues?
Please include all details related to your issue and write to us from your registered email address at firstname.lastname@example.org